[Introspective] Gay Paris

Grant grant at twistinthedark.net
Thu Oct 30 08:11:32 PST 2003

At 03:56 PM 29-10-03 -0500, aem wrote:
>I don't understand why it's being questioned.  PSB could actually do NYCB
>and substitute London, Berlin, Tokyo, Beijing, Syndey, etc., in addition
>to Paris and make it a cool international song.

I must admit that I don't know what the problem is.  EMI France obviously
thought it was a cute idea and it would sell more copies.  They asked Neil
and Chris, who also must have thought it was a cute idea and said yes.

It used to be very common for artists to record their hit songs in other
languages.  In more recent times, Kylie did a French version of "Confide In
Me" for the French speaking market.  And she also did multiple versions of
"Your Disco Needs You".  In the original, the spoken bit towards the end is
in French.  There are also versions where Kylie does that bit in German,
Spanish and Japanese!

Now, can we convince the Boys to do "Sydney City Boy" and come here to
perform it at Mardi Gras next year?  That would be awesome.  :-)

As for ordering the French CD.  One good thing about Amazon is the
consistency between the different sites.  I have successfully ordered from
the French site and as recently as last week ordered from the German
one.  I don't speak the lingos but am familiar with the English and
American sites so know which buttons to push.

My biggest challenge last year was ordering from a Japanese site in
Japanese.  Very traumatic but I did get the CD I had ordered so I must have
done something right.  :-)

I'm looking forward to "Paris City Boy".  The original is a favourite of
mine and it will be interesting to hear the variation.

Grant