[Introspective] Definitive Pet Shop Boys

Daniel McCarthy dpmccart at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Aug 14 04:30:47 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Virtual One" <mats-bjo at dsv.su.se>

> > Are you kidding??? - NYCB must be their biggest hit for the last ten
years,
> hardly heard drunk once on radio or in the clubs here...

I'm not kidding -- Drunk charted better (#8) than NYCB (#14).  I seem to
recall that NYCB was considered a flop in the UK.  #14 isn't too
disgraceful, but it wasn't as good as everyone had hoped.  I suppose it did
rather well in America by the standards of PSB material in the 1990s, well
enough to merit being issued in two different CD single formats, and may
have done alright in the rest of the world.  I think it did well enough to
merit inclusion on the compilation, but it it came down to a contest between
NYCB and Drunk, Drunk would be a more logical choice.  It charted better,
and while NYCB recapitulates Go West and the PSB hi-NRG style, Drunk is
characteristic of another side of the Boys altogether.