[Introspective] Saucer of milk for Mr Tennant please.

Daniel McCarthy dpmccart at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Apr 12 06:38:16 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Spedding" <spedders at spedders.worldonline.co.uk>

> Shameless
> How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?
> Yesterday When I Was Mad
>
> Has it ever been established who was being bitched about in the above
> songs? If not, what were the most convincing suggestions? And have I
> missed any other obvious 'bitch' tracks?

"...Seriously" is a composite, I think, of Sting, Bono, and George Michael
for getting involved in tendy causes and acting very pretentious about it
(did Sting save the rainforests?). "Shameless" is *not* about Tom Watkins,
but I don't know who it is about. "Decadence" is about Watkins. "Yesterday,
when I was mad," is just about the press reaction in general to the
Performance tour, all the "damning with faint praise" that the Boys were
getting.