[trash-talk] (no subject)

Stefanie Schwartz skull at spastica.net
Tue Sep 6 15:27:55 PDT 2005

Proportionally I mean. Because as someone pointed out,
> they sold more in the
> US but then again, the US is rather massive so the
> percentage and all that
> kind of mathematical stuff was much less. I'm explainging
> poorly but hey, I
> know what I mean.

and because of that proportion and the fact that they
didn't do good charlotte style album sales, particularly
with beautifulgarbage, the album was seen as a "flop" and
they did less promotional touring in the states than any
other 3/4 american band i can think of. we got less
singles, less videos, and they bothered with us less
because seriously, if you're not the killers or dave
matthews band or hillary duff, why bother?

...i can't think of any other 3/4 american bands, but you
get the idea. shirley is scottish but it's easy to forget
that garbage is primarily an american band, and for most
american bands a european tour is a rare and beautiful
thing. for garbage it's a huge huge huge part of their
touring, presumably because europe appreciates bands a lot
more than this country, tend to buy more albums and tend to
go to more shows. we americans are apparently all cheap
tasteless jerks who rarely buy singles.

listen, i wasn't arguing that one hemisphere deserves the
band more than the other. but cancelling an expensive tour
means something is seriously wrong, and you can't begrudge
them the right to deal with whatever that may be. a lot of
us have been on this list for ten years and counting, and
while we probably all deserve a medal of honour and a
lapdance from steve, it's highly unlikely any of us will
get it.

maybe elfie.

but that's about it.