[trash-talk] Shirley on BBC 2 last night

Rob Watson garbagedisco at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 15 02:21:21 PST 2005

Thanks,

just found this on the proboards forum posted by GarbageGirl, its the
Transcript of the show.

About rave culture:

“I was a huge clubber and taking ecstasy just introduced me to a whole side
of myself I didn’t know existed … It was just a fantastic moment in my life”

About the success of female fronted bands such as Elastica:

“Generally, the women who are successful in rock music, it seems to me, tend
to be the ones who have an aggressive streak, more of a ‘male streak’…

There’s a tradition in rock and roll that demands a certain kind of swagger
and testosterone driven attitude…

There were all these bands with very strong, smart females involved in them
– and yeah, it was an exciting time”

About Damon Albarn (Blur):

“Damon didn’t make people feel comfortable because there was some femininity
in him which he couldn’t mask, no matter how hard he tried – but his
intelligence couldn’t be masked either. (Sarcastically) I mean, God forbid
that any intelligence seeps into a rock song!”

About the differences between Damon and Liam Gallagher (Oasis):

“Damon didn’t really fit in the way that Liam did – there was no arguing
about it – he (Liam) was a testosterone-filled lad”

About the Spice Girls:

“I’m sure there’s a lot of women who took very positive messages from the
Spice Girls – and so God bless them for that – but it’s the mixed messages
that I find alarming”

Rob
-----> http://garbagedisco.com
---------->> http://garbagedisco.com/forum