[trash-talk] other bad g lyrics

Stefanie Schwartz skull at spastica.net
Wed May 11 12:12:59 PDT 2005

the thing i don't like about lyrics the way shirley writes them now is that
she's totally stopped with songs about herself.  it's like she is way too
aware of the fact that she's a spokesperson for a million angsty teenagers.

every song on the new record is directed towards or about someone else.
it's all 'oh honey, your life sucks, go do something about it because i'm
here and i believe in you' or 'you jerk, you really fucked up and i'm gonna
get really drunk and fuck tons of strangers' EXCEPT 'happy home,' which is
the best song.  and maybe 'bad boyfriend,' which only barely falls into the
latter category.

the lyrics on the last record are very basic but very specific.  she will
never write a lyric like 'i am red hot kitchen' ever again.

again, this is not suggesting i don't love the new album (i wept like a
little bitch the first time i heard 'run baby run' on my car stereo), but i
definitely didn't love everything about it.  ho hum.

stef