[trash-talk] I may be a pest pointing this out... BUT

Queen Helen fanclub queenhelenfanclub at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 13:08:22 PDT 2005

Yeah, mmm... the videos on my dvd come from the tv. But... initially, and still now, you don't pay to get the dvd, it is given away to the members as a bonus. You pay to get the fanzines.

Anyway, myself, I disagree with the whole not downloading the album because it's piracy because to me it's not doing harm to the music industry, on the contrary... Is that what we're talking about? Oh well, tired here....

wilson king <garbagebase at yahoo.com> wrote:
I think the main difference between ripping a CD and publishing the mp3
on the web, and encoding a video after recording it off of MTV or
whatever, is that the mp3 is a (compressed) digital copy of something
that is FOR SALE.

The videos are not for sale. They are played on TV and anyone with
access can watch them. Sharing videos doesn't cost the band any
potential sales, since the videos aren't for sale anyway.

Sharing mp3s does potentially cost the band some sales of their
product.

I'm not sure, this is simply my own opinion. But I think there's some
truth to it..

--- Silver Vow wrote:

> I don't like to make a big fuss on this list... but this kind of just
> confuses me and seems sad that TT went this way (calling the kettle
> black that is).
>
> OKay, I admit I woud love to get my hands on some of the b-sides from
> the new album because I simply don't have the money right now to
> purchase import singles until probably this summer... not only that
> but I've spent close to $2k or more on Garbage in my day
> (www.silvermeg.net/garbage and that isn't even all of what I have!)
>
> and I agree with g.o. on:
>
> <<"I agree that publishing this mp3 is technically piracy. I'm not
> going to argue the meaning of the word or the morality of the action.
> I'm just wondering why it's now become a big deal on trash-talk.
> Yes, I'd been absent from the list for a few years around the BG era,
> so maybe I missed something. But this is the first time I'VE ever
> seen a trash-talker share a b-side, and have a bunch of other
> trash-talkers yell "PIRACY!" ">>
>

> BUT... why do the videos run rampet for free? Going into the film
> industry and being a film student now, it's totally the same set of
> piracy standards and so forth. Why is no one bitching about looking
> at copies of videos that people have encoded?? I love Elfie's DVD of
> garbage music videos, but no one bitched about that and that
> technically violates copyrights since she collects fees for her
> fanclub.
>
> So my question is, why the double standard with video? And why
> suddenly all the bitching about posting MP3's esp when I think we are
> aware that this group for the most part are some of the most hardcore
> trashers. ANd if you're gonna bitch about MP3 copies of songs, why
> aren't you bitching about encoded copies of videos? Esp when I know
> a lot of people on TT for sure downloaded copies of BG when it was
> leaked...

"The greatest price of refusing to participate in politics is being governed by your inferiors."

- Plato, The Republic

http://mail.yahoo.com