[Trash-talk] 02.22.2005: New Blood: Make Way For The Return Of Garbage

Queen Helen fanclub queenhelenfanclub at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 11:18:12 PST 2005

Erm, isn't that the Keyrang article?

When is garbage.com putting the US dates on presale?

wilson king <garbagebase at yahoo.com> wrote:
Posted today on www.garbage.com:

Garbage are preparing to return with their long-awaited fourth album,
¡®Bleed Like Me¡¯, in April. The follow-up to 2001¡¯s ¡®Beautiful Garbage¡¯,
recorded in various Stateside studios, sees the band return to their
original hard rock sound and features a drum cameo from Foo Fighters
frontman Dave Grohl. Frontwoman Shirley Manson reveals all about the
album, troubled band relations and her rumoured collaborations with
Marilyn Manson.

What¡¯s the mood like in the Garbage camp at the moment?

¡°Once of complete utter amazement that we¡¯ve actually finished a
record! We can¡¯t believe it. We¡¯re amazed that we got to this point ¨C
we¡¯re pleased with the record and we¡¯ve had an amazing reaction to it.
We¡¯re relieved.¡±

How would you describe ¡®Bleed Like Me¡¯?

¡°It¡¯s definitely the closest we¡¯ve ever come to capturing what we sound
like live on a record. It¡¯s more simple, straightforward and more of a
rock record. We wanted to forget all of the technology and work on
capturing our live sound instead. We also got to a point where we
weren¡¯t getting on very well either and didn¡¯t want to spend time in
the studio together!¡±

Why weren¡¯t you getting on?

¡°We¡¯ve been together for a long time and spend time in each others¡¯
faces 24/7 when we¡¯re working, so it¡¯s only natural that things should
get a bit whacked out sometimes. It sounds clich¨¦, but we weren¡¯t
communicating, and when you don¡¯t speak it causes a lot of tension. I
wish we were different types of people because we¡¯d probably have a
huge, physical fight and that would solve all of our problems. But
unfortunately it¡¯s all a bit passive-aggressive. Everybody tries to be
kind to each other but sometimes you just need a big fight to clear the
air.¡±

What themes are running through the lyrics on this album?

¡°Some people think it¡¯s a political record and some people think it¡¯s
all about relationships, but it¡¯s probably an amalgamation of both. The
last few years for anybody in any part of the world have been very
worrying and you¡¯d have to be dead to not have some kind of political
view at the moment. So the world climate has definitely influenced the
album and I¡¯ve been a little more over in my political leanings.¡±

What¡¯s easier ¨C writing about relationships or politics?

To be honest, I don¡¯t feel confidant writing about anything, so nothing
is easy. It¡¯s getting a bit retarded! The very fact that I¡¯m still a
neurotic, insecure mess is probably why I¡¯m still in a band. I
literally had writer¡¯s block for a year-and-a-half on this record. I
had vocal surgery too, so my voice wasn¡¯t working properly, I couldn¡¯t
write and I was really distressed about my relationship with the band.
It was a fucking nightmare! I did think about jacking it all in about a
million times but what else am I going to do? I have nothing else.¡±

Dave Grohl drums on ¡®Bad Boyfriend¡¯. What was he like to work with?

I don¡¯t know Dave very well, but I wish I was good friends with him. Me
and a million other girls, eh? He obviously has history with Butch
[Vig, drums and producer of ¡®Nevermind¡¯] and Butch asked him as a
favour because his style of drumming was perfect for the song. Dave¡¯s a
fantastic glowing ball of energy. He¡¯s Mr Personality and everybody
loves him.¡±

It¡¯s rumoured that you and Marilyn Manson are collaborating together.
Is that true?

¡°It is. We met at a Yeah Yeah Yeahs concert and got on really well. So
we recorded a track together, a version of Human League¡¯s ¡®Don¡¯t You
Want Me Baby?¡¯. It¡¯s really cool but neither of us felt comfortable
putting it on our records, so I don¡¯t know if it will ever come out. I
hope it does. Our voices sound fantastic in a very ¡®Beauty And The
Beast¡¯ kind of way.¡±

Finally, what colour hair are you currently rocking?

¡°(Laughs) I have my red hair back! I went mad last time, I think. I
can¡¯t believe that I shaved all my hair off. What was I thinking? When
I look back at the pictures of it now, I¡¯m like, ¡®What the fuck!?¡¯. It
was crazy.¡±

¡ñ Garbage¡¯s new single ¡®Why Do You Love Me?¡¯ is out on March 28
and the album ¡®Bleed Like Me¡¯ follows on April 11 via Warner Brothers.

=====
"The greatest price of refusing to participate in politics is being governed by your inferiors."

- Plato, The Republic