[trash-talk] Garbage at Downtown Rocks in Atlanta

Pete Calvert pete.calvert at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 14 20:32:10 PDT 2005

I went to the 99X Downtown Rocks show in Atlanta last night, which Garbage were headlining.  I have to say for a free show it was very good, and was definitely one of the better Garbage shows I've seen.  There was four local bands before Garbage played who I hadn't heard of.

So I go with a friend of a friend, and we get there early as it's supposed to fill up quickly.  The show doesn't start until 6:30, but we get there about 3, that's a good thing as it gives us plenty of time for beer. :)

After a few beers and a look round we head back to where the music is just as the first band is playing, they're not bad, the most notable point is when they do a cover of Blur's Song 2, which isn't bad, but nothing spectacular.  It's after this the fun starts... we've been talking to a couple of other guys and decide to go and get some shots, so we head to the bar and ask for four shots of Jaeger, but we want to pay for them seperately, and with this the bartender gets really arsey and we have a long discussion about trying to get some drinks, during it my friend asks to see the manager.  Now the bartender is now refusing to serve *me* because he thinks I was the one that asked to see the manager, so I'm getting pissed off, and my friend is saying that it was him that said it, but he's not listening.  Luckily the manager turns up and we finally get our drinks.  After that we just start laughing at how difficult it is to get a drink, and the bartender thinks we're laughing at him!  Anyway, we try to get another drink, all we want is a beer and a shot, but the guy gives us three beers, and we're saying we only wanted one beer and a shot.  So we got a couple of free beers.  It was a bit crazy and the bartender wasn't a people person.

Anyway on to the music, we get back to hear the end of the third band, and I don't really remember what they were like.  So after they finish we start to head to the front.  I can't remember who the fourth band was but I quite liked them, as the set goes on I start making my closer to the stage, and by the time they finish I'm in the second row, and right in the centre, perfect for when Garbage start.  I did get someone ask me if I could scoot over?!  Errmm... this is a mosh pit there is no where to scoot to, if you can't stand the heat...

So it's time for Garbage!  I'm not even going to try and remember the set list, all the beers have made the songs a bit hazy... ;)  But it was a great show, probably one of the better ones I've seen.  There was one point where a fight broke out a few rows behind me, I saw the security guys point it out and then about ten cops come flying over the barrier next to me, I guess they sorted it out.  Shirley wasn't very impressed and said that if instead of these gentlemen coming here to fight, why didn't they go to Iraq and get paid to fight, and then the rest of us could have a good time.  That got a big cheer.

Shirley was on good form, and was stalking around the stage, and talking quite a lot between songs, she said she was surprised to see so many people here considering the bad weather.

Of course it was all over too soon.  I think I'm going to like Atlanta though.  I've only been here a week and I've already been to a free concert featuring Garbage, and I've got another couple of gigs lined up.

Anyway, I think that's enough rambling randomness from me.

Pete