[Trash-talk] road report

Stefanie Schwartz skull at spastica.net
Tue Apr 19 23:46:26 PDT 2005

alright.  we're officially done with our garbage shows.  they were good.  in boston they played 'metal heart' instead of 'hammering in my head,' which really surprised me, and it's actually quite good.  they also replaced 'right between the eyes' with 'run baby run,' which was great.  we met really cool people on the line (and some not so cool people too, but let's focus on the positive).  had a few words with billy beforehand; what a nice dude.  the other roadies teased him because of all the attention he got.  anyway the show was vastly better than philadelphia in all respects.  we ended the night pleased but very very very tired.  efforts to meet the band afterwards were thwarted as they all dove into escape vehicles and sped off into the night, presumably to shoot whatever video in nyc yesterday.

the new york show today.  we knew the minute we showed up that this was going to be the show that would redeem garbage shows for us forever.

i NEVER do this and i always hate fans who do this, BUT i made a sign.  it said:  "COME ON STEVE, BE MY BALD BOYFRIEND."  and NOBODY fucking noticed it during the actual song!  it was only during "when i grow up" that i held it up again in a fit of frustration and got a confused thumbs-up from mr marker.

anyway everything sounded great.  they played metal heart again but still closed with right between the eyes.  everything was totally amazing.  shirley fucked "cherry lips" up hardcore and looked so perplexed and adorable while she collected herself, laughing hysterically and reading the lips of the kids in the front row to find her place and get back on track.  she saw my sign at one point and took it from me, promising to torture steve with it endlessly, to which i replied, "that's all i ask."  he flipped her the bird.  beautiful.

after the show was over we were all extremely pleased and went out back to try to meet them.  shirley, butch and steve came out at once and climbed into the waiting van.  i got ahold of steve and apologised for embarrassing him and he said it was cool, so i asked for a photo.  i promptly kissed him on the cheek and he rushed off to the van looking horrified and annoyed.

so the point is, the shows were fabulous, we ended up having a great time, and tormenting that poor bald man never gets old.  i should have photos tomorrow.

stef