[Trash-talk] Garbage on Msn Chat

Rob at the Garbage Discography garbagedisco at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:10:49 PDT 2005

Full transcript;

DishDiva says: Welcome to MSN Live! This afternoon we are live from New York
City and pleased to welcome Garbage to MSN!
DishDiva says: Let's get started!

Garbage_Live says: Welcome all hard core Garbage fans joining us on the
chat. We are having an exciting week and we're glad you can join us!

SummeredOut in Onstage_1 asks: Could you explain what the phrase "baking
biscuits" means in "Why Don't You Come Over"?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: I think that "Baking Biscuits" comes from a line
that Shirley did, it's a kiss off, "If you're going to get on my case, why
don't you walk in my shoes?" It's toward someone who is conservative and
isn't open minded to what it's like to be Shirley M
Garbage_Live says: Manson.

Ringwraith_garbageDOTcz in Onstage_1 asks: Do you plan to visit some central
/ eastern Europe countries like Czechia, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary etc. on
your tour?

Garbage_Live says: Steve: We are in such a state of flux right now, we don't
know exactly where we'll be touring because the album has only been out two
days. It depends on the response from the fans. We have been to the Czech
Republic and will be near there again soon. We
Garbage_Live says: have had a good response from fans over there and if
there's a desire for us to come there, we certainly want to. We'll be in
Germany, Istanbul, Moscow, Greece, but that's all we know about right now.

jamesthegill in Onstage_1 asks: What does Shirley sing in the closing bit of
"Nobody Loves You"?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: I presume the outro, we don't know. (laughs) I
think it's something about broken glass.

Red_hot_heat1 in Onstage_1 asks: What is the idea behind the "Bleed Like Me"
album cover?

Garbage_Live says: Steve: We wanted something different but wanted to keep
the texture art that we have on other records. We didn't want to be too
fancy or high class and we wanted to use something like duct tape, so we
did. It's basically colored duct tape over a
Garbage_Live says: photograph. It's kind of lo fi adn we think it's kind of
beautiful.

sexisnothenemy in Onstage_1 asks: Do you guys have any songs you've recorded
over the last 10 years that have never been released?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: We have a lot of songs that we haven't released
and most of them won't see the light of day because we didn't think they
were good enough to be on an album or B side. We do have a few that we are
looking to put out as B sides. We have been working
Garbage_Live says: on "Bleed Like Me" so now that we're done, we may start
working on a B side compilation. We have planned on it for a while but
haven't been able to do it yet because of scheduling.

Shane66778 in Onstage_1 asks: Why has the band recorded in Wisconsin in the
past, as opposed to any other location?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: Steve and I started Smart Studios after we
graduated from college. We built the studio in our home town and it became
Garbage headquarters. We have recorded in some other places, but 90% of it
was recorded in Madison, Wisconson.
Garbage_Live says: We like it where it's cold and dark. (laughs)

diegoto291007 in Onstage_1 asks: Who is the person behind the cover of Bleed
Like Me?

Garbage_Live says: It's top secret (laughs) but we're encouraging the fans
to guess at our website.

Darkling54321 in Onstage_1 asks: Do you enjoy travelling constantly to
promote your new album? Does it ever get overwhelming?

Garbage_Live says: Steve: There's nothing we love more than playing the
shows. Shirley has told me every night, that the fan support has brought us
back to be on stage and to make this record. This is a wonderful thing and
it seems silly to complain about anything else or
Garbage_Live says: be overwhelmed by it.

randum_Garbage in Onstage_1 asks: What is the best thing about touring?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: The best thing is what Steve was alluding to. It's
like a drug fix playing on stage. You can't get that in the studio. When one
of us come up with a great part, there's only 4 of us in the room and you
don't get that instant feedback like you do
Garbage_Live says: when you play in front of thousands of hardcore Garbage
fans.

SlashxSlither1111 in Onstage_1 asks: what song do you guys like playing
live?

Garbage_Live says: Steve: All of them.
Garbage_Live says: Steve: If there's something that doesn't click, we just
don't play it again. When you come to see us, we're playing what we want to
play. There's no reason to play anything else.

NerdetteCBC in Onstage_1 asks: Being self proclaimed studio geeks, has
garbage considered any work with the 5.1 surround sound format?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: We've been asked to do a 5.1 surround mix since we
did 2.0 and fans have questioned and I think it would be great to remix all
the records in 5.1. We just haven't had time, we want to be involved with it
and it would be so time consuming.
Garbage_Live says: Steve: There's another 5 years. (laughs)
Garbage_Live says: Butch: We wouldn't want to do a half-assed version, so
that's something we'll do when we have more down time. There just hasn't
been enough time in our schedule as of late.

ShirleyManson623 in Onstage_1 asks: is there any other meaning behind
Shirley taking off her shoes?

Garbage_Live says: Comfort. She likes to wear the hot boots when she comes
out but it's not practicle to keep them on for the entire show so she takes
them off.

cynicaltomorrow in Onstage_1 asks: When will the new Garbage website be
totally up and running?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: We'd like to know that too.
Garbage_Live says: Steve: We don't know why it's not up yet, and we're
anxious too.

QUEERtrippin in Onstage_1 asks: In "Happy Home" the line "I never once in my
wayward life was heading to run out" is a beautifullt written line but I'd
like to know...run out of where? A relationship?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: Shirley wrote those lyrics and it could be about
something in your life, not just a relationship. The things that are
precious to you, you don't want to leave them behind.

RayLogan1 in Onstage_1 asks: PS You guys rock, this is the third time I've
seen you and yes I do love you Shirley.....Boston loved you last night too

MichaelTheVampireSlayer in Onstage_1 asks: This isn't a question, but I just
wanted to thank you. For sticking through it all and completing this amazing
record. I love it more than words can say. Thank you. Can't wait for the
next one! *wink*

Garbage_Live says: We're still digesting "Bleed Like Me" and the great thing
is the great response.

markm_1981 in Onstage_1 asks: Did you make a conscious effort to make a more
guitar oriented album after beautiful garbage?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: Yes, when Steve talked about playing the songs
live, when something doesn't work live we stop playing it. The songs on
"Beautiful Garbage" there were only a few we played on tour. Even though we
loved all the songs, they didn't all translate to the
Garbage_Live says: stage. We wanted "Bleed Like Me" to translate really well
to the stage and it was just turning up Steve's guitar (laughs) we're just a
loud rock band.

DarthShaun in Onstage_1 asks: Hey Guys. I have a question about Bad
Boyfriend: Is it Shirley's ode to us male fans who worship her or is it like
in the vein of Stupid Girl? Thanks.

Garbage_Live says: Butch: That song is very cheecky, Shirl wrote those
lyrics to work in a few ways. To tease her boyfriend, tease her fans,
someone she's lusting after and isn't paying attention to her. It's really
written to be interpreted by the person listening to it.

Garbage_Live says: It does have that sexy swagger to it.

H1ghLyÆv0lv3d in Onstage_1 asks: Question: What was the most, say,
complicated song to record?

Garbage_Live says: Maybe it turned into one of our simple sounding songs
"Bad Boyfriend" we knew it was a good song and it was hard to get the rock
sound we wanted. We went back and forth and tried different things and it
was getting Dave Grohl on drums, but getting to that
Garbage_Live says: point took months and months.

dfghdfghfgrhkk in Onstage_1 asks: Was 'Why do you love me?' aimed at the
fans at all?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: No, I think she wrote those lyrics about her
perception. She has a mean streak of self-lothing and self-doubt, and all of
us do, it's something we all have to battle. She is asking how she could be
put on a pedistal even though she isn't a super
Garbage_Live says: model.

pinkaholic866 in Onstage_1 asks: Which song has the most personal meaning to
you?

Garbage_Live says: She could also be talking tongue-in-cheeck about the
band. But again she writes in such a way the lyrics can be open to
interpritation.

Garbage_Live says: Butch: I have a tendency to love the songs we do when
Shirley sings quietly like "Look So Fine" and "Bleed Like Me." Shirley wrote
that song about 5 people and when I hear her sing "Bleed Like Me" I can hear
how she is expressing how she feels about those
Garbage_Live says: individuals.
Garbage_Live says: Steve: I think we ended up choosing "Bleed Like Me" for
the title album because it meant to much to all of us.

FionnulaTheCooler in Onstage_1 asks: In the song Bleed Like Me, Shirley
sings, in part, about JT Leroy. Are the other characters of the song real
people or creatures of Shirley's imagination?
Garbage_Live says: They are real people. Avalanche is a friend of hers from
school. Doodle is a friend from Ireland. They all have self destructive
issues and they all really do exist.

DryiceX in Onstage_1 asks: any dvd of music videos, behind the scenes or
live concerts in the works ?? im sure most of us would love to see that
happen!

Garbage_Live says: Steve: We have a crew filming us and we just saw the
first footage and hopefull will be on our website. It's great, there's a lot
of fans in it. We have stuff going back 10 years, friends and fans in it.
One way or another it will come out on DVD. Even if
Garbage_Live says: we have to bootleg it (laughs).

SHUTchurrFACE in Onstage_1 asks: I will be at the concert coming up in
Detroit... who is opening for you guys there?

elobrian in Onstage_1 asks: Who came up with the infectious riff/syncopation
for Why Don't You Come Over?

Garbage_Live says: Butch: As far as I know the Dead 60's are on tour with
us. They are a new band from Liverpool with a punk influence. They are
really cool and great fun to talk to. They all have accents like John
Lennon. The crowds are all reacting well to them and to
Garbage_Live says: see them react well to the opening band is fun.
DishDiva says: 'elobrian in Onstage_1 asks: Who came up with the infectious
riff/syncopation for Why Don't You Come Over?
Garbage_Live says: That's a Duke riff. I remember we hyped it up.

MisterBlaque in Onstage_1 asks: the new york show is gonna rock tomorrow...
any spots you guys plan on hitting like Virgin Megastore or Howard Stern
while in the rotten apple?

Garbage_Live says: We're doing a lot while we're here. We'll be going to
Fuse, KRock, MTV.
Garbage_Live says: I bought a bunch of new albums, I bought one by the
Moaners.
Garbage_Live says: We're also shooting a video for "Sex Is Not The Enemy."
Shirley is doing that as we speak.
Garbage_Live says: I also bought Dark Snack, The Ultimate Best of Serge
Gainsbourg.

DishDiva says: Guys, that's all the time we have for today. Thanks for
joining the fans today on MSN Live!

Garbage_Live says: Thanks and a big shout out to our hardcore Garbage fans.
It's great to have this response from fans. The album is doing well, top 5
in European countries. I'm sure people thought we had fallen off the face of
the Earth, but we're back connecting to the
Garbage_Live says: fans.
Garbage_Live says: Butch: Thanks, we'll see you on the road.
Garbage_Live says: Steve: We can't wait to see you on the road!

DishDiva says: Thanks to Garbage for being our guest this afternoon!

DishDiva says: Thanks also to today's fabulous hosts Trish and Judy!

Maskara_Vamp in Onstage_1 asks: Thanks to Garbage for doing this!

shirleebee in Onstage_1 asks: I love you guys! See you in NYC tomorrow!

purplecrisy in Onstage_1 asks: Thanks to Garbage for interacting with the
fans

atomicxbomb in Onstage_1 asks: Garbage freakin' rules!

brittcrazychick369 in Onstage_1 asks: Garbage Rocks!!! Shirley Manson
Rocks!!!

AVENGRSFN in Onstage_1 asks: shirley...i luv ya!!

Agota_GARBAGEdotHU in Onstage_1 asks: see u in june in europe!

SlashxSlither1111 in Onstage_1 asks: Garbage will always Rocks my WORLD!!!

elobrian in Onstage_1 asks: See you in DC..can't wait!!!!!

Red_hot_heat1 in Onstage_1 asks: See you guys Thursday in DC!

MichaelTheVampireSlayer in Onstage_1 asks: Garbage is the best rock band of
all time, and always will be! I love you guys!

RayLogan1 in Onstage_1 asks: Better than the Beatles....wow I said that

purplecrisy in Onstage_1 asks: Thanks for rocking in SF much LOVE!!!

Mystykal13 in Onstage_1 asks: The best band and great when you meet them!!

fakesunglasses in Onstage_1 asks: See you at the 9:30 club! gonna be the
best show Ill ever go to.

Beev3n in Onstage_1 asks: Waiting for you in Russia!

Rob

Home to the Garbage Discography
http://www.garbagedisco.com
Join the forum and discuss your collections
http://www.garbagedisco.com/forum