[Trash-talk] BRMC @ Canes in SD (review, NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Sun May 2 10:11:11 PDT 2004

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is one of my favorite bands of the past couple
years but I'd yet been able to see them play. Luckily they decided to play
a bar in San Diego the night before their Coachella appearance. BRMC is a
three piece out of the bay area. They have a bluesy rock sound mixed with
some psychedelia and Velvets like distortion and feedback. The bass player
and guitarist split the vocals. The bass is played like a guitar on most
songs, so it sounds as if they have two guitars. Anyways, I was absolutely
stunned. What a fantastic live band!! They don't seem like the kind of band
that would be *that* fun on stage. I'm not sure why, but I always had that
impression. I was way off. I would love to see them at an all ages show,
b/c there were times last night I just wanted to jump around but it was 21+
and everyone was just nodding their heads to the music while holding their
beers. If you ever have the chance definitely check them out. Here's the
setlist: Complicated Situation / Shuffle Your Feet / Spread Your Love / Six
Barrel Shotgun / Stop / White Palms / Rise Or Fall / Vision / In Like The
Rose / Red Eyes and Tears / Shade Of Blue / Heart and Soul // Love Burns /
Whatever Happened To My Rock 'N Roll (Punk Song).

Kill Me Tomorrow opened, and while they definitely aren't for everyone I
really liked them. Another three piece. Very loud with lots of distortion
and ear piercing feedback. Yeah! Plus the bass player looked like Gwen.  :)

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...