[Trash-talk] NGR Re: Please cut back the ngr posts

Alan Hoppe scully_itsme at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 02:20:26 PST 2004

Well yeah, I mean .. I can't disagree with any points you've made in your
post. I suppose there's always been those list members silently lurking
during foolish shenanigan threads and whatnot, and hating that they have all
the BS to wade through, but holding onto the hope that there's some actual
on-topic content being posted. And meanwhile there are the list members who
are participating in the shenanigan posts, who are obviously of an entirely
different mindset, and getting something completely different out of the
whole experience.

Is it possible for both camps to coexist? I don't have an answer for that. I
guess that's the question. One person will say 'if you don't want to read
the post, just delete it' while another will reply 'but if it's not
something with content about Garbage, then it has no place here'.

You're right about the difference between gov't censorship and mailing list
topic policy. I kind of blurred the whole thing into an emotional jumble.
But it just seemed odd that there's never been any such moderation here
before, and the topic that caused it to be brought up was political. Anyway,
I don't equate off-topic moderation with political censorship exactly, and
Mr. Lick *did* say he's always tried to stay out of it.

I started laying low awhile back, I'll probably go ahead and do that again
now.

And hey, I hope you don't regret sending the message, Justin - it was
refreshing to read.

-Alan-
http://groups.msn.com/beautifulgarbage

PS: On a more random note, I think we actually *have* discussed '80s teeny
boppers on the list. So we can put a check by that one and I, for one, hope
it never ever comes up again. But if it does, I'll find a way to bring ABBA
into the conversation as usual, even if that's off-topic in an
'80s-teeny-bopper thread.