[Trash-talk] Marilyn Manson at the Greek (NGR - concert review)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 11 11:48:13 PDT 2003

Yeah I know I swore I was done with Manson after getting screwed one too
many times by the unpredictability of his shows. Will he fall and hurt
himself four songs into the set? Will he get into a fight with a fan and
walk off the stage? Will Dita Von Teese rip off all her clothes and attack
me? Oh wait, that was just a dream!  But anyways the new CD is excellent so
I decided to give him another shot. Plus I had a really shitty day
yesterday, and there's nothing better after one of those than a little dose
of Marilyn.

The setting couldn't have been better either. A gorgeous night in the
Hollywood Hills with a full moon rising from behind the stage. I must say,
the crowd was certainly better looking than the usual Manson freak-fest.
Not that the freaks weren't there, just that on this night they happened to
be cute freaks. A girl next to me was explaining how she lives next to what
used to be Spahn Ranch (Charles Manson's hangout) and how her dad knew
Charlie. Niiiiiiice.

For those of you who don't know, Manson has embraced a sort of 1930s Berlin
style. It works well for him. The show had sort of an old vaudeville feel
to it. It was also nice to see that he has traded some of his overused
gimmicks for new ones. Gone are the stilts and and the Manson as preacher
rant. In are headless mannequin robots and girls in lingerie cavorting
around the stage. I'd say that's a fair trade! I'd still like to see him
and the band just do a stripped down concert, as his music and lyrics are
definitely strong enough to stand up on their own, but that will never
happen.

This was the first night of the tour, and the band did seem a bit off at
the beginning. By mOBSCENE, about midway through the set, they finally
seemed to hit their stride. Maybe all the pre-show drugs had worn off by
then.

The setlist, by album: This Is the New Shit; mOBSCENE; Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz
Ziggety-Zag; Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth; The Golden Age of Grotesque;
S(aint); The Fight Song; Disposable Teens; Great Big White World; The Dope
Show; Rock Is Dead; Irresponsible Hate Anthem (encore); The Beautiful
People; Tourniquet; Little Horn; Sweet Dreams; and Tainted Love (Soft Cell
cover).

Supporting act S.T.U.N. did an ok impersonation of Disturbed and was fairly
entertaining.

Quote of the night:
"We'll be walking around after the show if any of you want to fuck or
fight."
-S.T.U.N.'s frontman before their last song

** out of ***

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...