[Trash-talk] [NGR] More on Courtney @ that JT reading in NYC in Sept (from SPIN)

Alan Hoppe achoppe at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 10 22:22:41 PST 2003

the december '03 issue of SPIN (with the strokes on the cover - yep,
thasssright, five collectible covers with each member, how exciting) has a
little ditty cover-blurb that says 'courtney love wild in new york'

... which is, of course, referring to the evening that she met TT's beloved
'menace' (aka stefanie) -- am i right? i think so. so i typed it up. the
story is in the 'noise' section and has 2 photos.

------------------------------

TROUBLE LOVES ME
by Marc Spitz

Most gossip columnists try to maintain a healthy objectivity when dealing
with celebrities and their seductive ways. We are not most gossip
columnists. We didn't intend to do an item on Courtney Love, but she
happened to be the most famous person in the VIP area during a September
fete / reading for flamboyant novelist JT LeRoy at Manhattan's Coral Room.
And she happened to pay attention to us. So here we go. First, we should
explain that Love - along with Third Eye Blind's Stephan Jenkins (we knew it
was him because he loudly told the doorman, "I'm Stephan Jenkins!") and Yeah
Yeah Yeahs' Nick Zinner - was there to hear readings from LeRoy's work and
check out his pet band, Thistle. While LeRoy worked the room, we worked
Courtney. "What the hell is going on with your album?" we asked, having
heard that her solo debut, America's Sweetheart, had been pushed back to
February 2004. Love insisted the delay was strictly business. "People are
stealing from me. Kurt's credit card is still active," she said.
"Apparently, he bought some shoes last week." Love claims that she is not
creatively blocked. "I want this to be my Blonde on Blonde," she said. She
also wants it to be a hit. "Bigger than Eminem," she joked. (She's even
meeting with platinum-ballad queen Diane Warren.) "Do you have a CD player
in your car?" she asked, when we requested a preview. "This is New York - we
don't have cars," we explained. "We'll borrow one," she replied. We followed
her outside to a black, chauffer-driven van. "Can we use your CD player?"
she asked the driver. "This is Damon Dash's," the chauffer stammered. "He's
not here. I can't let you in." "Oh, no, it's okay," Love reassured him.
"Damon Dash. DMX. I know them. Let me in!" Then a giant security guard and
700 paparazzi appeared, and we gave up. "You just turned the whole hip-hop
community against me!" she screamed at us as we fled. Memo to the hip-hop
community: It wasn't her fault. We egged her on.