[Trash-talk] Shirley M: VH1 '50 Greatest Women of the Video Era'

Alan Hoppe achoppe at earthlink.net
Tue May 13 13:37:55 PDT 2003

I just saw an ad for a new VH1 special, and there was a quick short Shirley
Manson moment in it that got me all excited. So I went to VH1.com and found
the following info, and the show airs 3 times this week, starting on Friday
night.

------

The main page is here:
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_greatest/66355/episode.jhtml

Show time:
Fri May 16
8:00 PM - 7 central

Repeated:
Fri May 16
11:00 PM

Sat May 17
1:00 PM

-------

Here's more details:
http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/the_greatest/66355/episode_about.jhtml

>From Madonna to the Go-Gos and Queen Latifah and Britney Spears women have
commandeered the previously testosterone ruled world of rock, pop and
hip-hop like never before. Female groups, rockers, rappers and pop stars
have come a long way since pioneering women like Diana Ross & The Supremes
and Janis Joplin laid the groundwork and broke down barriers in the 1960's &
1970's. Their legacy is the focus of VH1's 50 Greatest Women of The Video
Era, hosted by TV and screen star Julianna Margulies.

Spanning a 20-year period, 1983-to present, 50 Greatest Women will encompass
a standout mix of pop sensations, girl groups, female rappers, divas and
women rockers. The list will feature profiles on the multitasking female
artists of today who not only sing but perform, write, dance, choreograph,
act and in some instances manage their own careers. Mariah Carey, Cher,
Whitney Houston, Norah Jones, Janet Jackson, Alanis Morissette, Jennifer
Lopez and many more will be featured on the program. The special will also
include new and exclusive interviews by numerous celebrities to add
commentary to the segments.

------

>From what I saw in the ad on TV, Shirley might be not be included as one of
the 50 artists, but rather as one of the people with commentaries throughout
the broadcast (and the interview snippet looked very recent, as the hairdo
was post-No-Doubt-tour, having grown out like it's been in the recent VIVA
GLAM tv spots on morning shows).

------

I couldn't find a list of who the 50 people are, but there's a popup photo
gallery link on the main page.
In a fantasy dream sequence I just had, Shirley M and Susan S get together
and talk smack about Avril. Then me, Pat and Avril come out and fisticuffs
ensue. And everyone except Avril is wearing a tie! Okay sorry ..

xoxo,
alan