[Trash-talk] NGR: the datsuns & the music

Lindsay Calhoun shirleyzas at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 11:31:24 PST 2003

Mattex wrote:
>the datsuns were recently here in tour. i never heard em, but friends
>told me they're not that good. just like all those vines, libertines,
>etc? hopefully not.

I don't mean this in a rude or accusational way, I'm just curious...why is
it so bad to sound like the Vines or the Libertines?  I haven't heard that
much of the Libertines (maybe only three songs or so) but I really don't
think they sound much like the Vines.  All these "new rock" bands are
getting lumped together, all the critics' darlings - the Yeah Yeah Yeahs,
the Strokes, the Vines, the Hives, the White Stripes, Datsuns, Libertines,
the Rapture, the Gories, the Greenhornes, and I could go on and on and on.
But honestly, what do most of them have in common except they're being
noticed at the same time?  And why are they now receiving this backlash?  I
think it's because there are a LOT of them, so the public feels it is its
duty to knock 'em down.  It's the same thing that happens with any genre
movement, so to speak.  I just think it's interesting.  For instance, it
seems it's the really cool and elitist thing right now to hate the Vines.
That's cool, if you don't like the Vines, that's fine.  But don't not like
them because everyone else tells you they suck.  I personally like the
Vines.  Their live show is a bit lacking but the CD is very good, and
believe me it doesn't sound ANYTHING like the Hives or the White Stripes,
the two bands they're most often compared to.  So yeah...I'm not meaning
this as an attack on you, Mattex, I'm just sort of thinking aloud about
things I have been noticing about the way people and music interact.  Sorry
for my rambling.
-Lindsay