[Trash-talk] concert reviews: more Datsuns, plus The Music (NGR)

blisteringheat blisteringheat at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 23:27:23 PDT 2003

The Music @ the Troubadour, West Hollywood:
This band is one talented group of musicians. Some of you may have heard
their song "Take the Long Road and Walk It", which I think is their only
"single". It's hard to believe all the members are around 19 years old.
There isn't really anything else out there similar to their style. Sort of
a Pink Floyd meets 1970s Aerosmith? No, guess not. But it's fun. They
sounded surprisingly good live, especially for a tiny club like the
Troubadour. The only complaint I had was that a large contigent of Japanese
girls (guess they're big in Japan or something?) got their super early and
lined the entire front of the stage. No problem. Except that during the
show they JUST STOOD THERE. It was weird. The Troubadour gets pretty lively
up by the stage usually, and the Music's songs build up at the end where
you just want to go a bit crazy. But we weren't really able to and it kind
of took away from the experience. I likened it afterwards to an hour and a
half of sex with no orgasm. But I'd definitely go see them again and hope
for different circumstances.

The Datsuns @ the Casbah, San Diego; and @ the Glass House, Pomona:
I think I already posted one review of the Datsuns from when I saw them at
the Troubadour, or maybe I just emailed Bill Shaw. Either way, it's now
confirmed. This is the greatest live band going. No contest. Yes, better
than Garbage. Better than Garbage at Irvine in '98 (sorry!). Better than
any of the other hundreds of concerts I've ever seen. This band is insane.
Their CD, which is fine, does no justice to their sound or abilities. Three
times I've seen them turn laid back Southern California club crowds into
crazed lunatics. You just can't help yourself. I'm beat up, my voice is
trashed, my legs are jello, and I'm pissed as fucking hell that I can't
take off for a week and go see their last couple shows up north. There's an
older black guy who works at the Glass House. When last night's show was
over he went up to the roadie who was clearing the stage. He said to the
guy, "Man, I've worked here a lot of years and I've seen a lot of shows...
I've never seen anything like that." Yup.

pongo

when did i get perverted
i can't remember your name
i'm growing introverted
you touch my hand but it's not the same...