[Trash-talk] What look of Shirley's would you recreate for a photosession?

Mark msp0 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 18:24:58 PDT 2003

Many thanks to Lou and Alan for replying :-) My comments are inline ...

--- Fox Mulder <scully_itsme at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: "xshirleyxvixenx *~*" <shirleyvixen at hotmail.com>
> [replying to mark's request for photosession ideas]
>
> >since the fashion on tt is now not to reply to anyone - i shall stay
> true
> >to me overtalkative self and reply for you

I guess people are busy or not paying much attention while there is no
news of new G stuff. However, I appreciate getting other people's
ideas, as I don't see many fashion magazines these days.

> i was thinking of mark's question and couldn't come up with anything
> useful
> to offer.
> but i really like the way shirley looked in that early photo shoot
> with the
> black tank top. straight hair. kinda glammed out in the makeup
> department ..
> she just looked amazing.
> yet i didn't think that was really something that you could use as a
> blueprint for a photo shoot .. since you could take a million other
> people
> and photograph them with that set of things, the tank, the makeup,
> the long
> straight hair, etc .. and it wouldn't necessarily be enough to go
> with. i
> don't know.

Yes ... I tend to agree. My aim is to do something achievable yet
distinctive.

> >well it depends what kind of photography you like, or what sort of
> image
> >you want to create.
>
> i think he just wants imput to have a starting point .. he'll
> probably 'take
> it from there' in terms of the images he gets from it. he's maybe
> stumped
> for where to begin, or wants to have someone suggest something so he
> can
> start off at an unexpected place 'artistically'. *enter louise and
> her
> creative suggestions* (hehe)

That's right. There are so many options I just wanted to bounce some
ideas off people.

> >i would maybe like a debut era ohwir shoot if i was doing it - wild
> >colours, over exposure of light, highlighted features - like vivid
> lips and
> >eyes against a bright white face...

I was considering a whitened face with distinctive eye makeup, perhaps
due to my "gothic" interests and the fact that there are many websites
for makeup like this. The colour aspect would be interesting, although
it's likely I'll take many more black and white photos than colour. But
as OHWIR is my fave G video, I'll study it again to get some ideas :-)

> an abandoned warehouse with toys [toys? what was up with that anyway?
> where
> were they??] and lots of music-related items to destroy. i wanna see
> mark up
> to his knees in magnetic recording tape. and his model for the shoot
> captured looking on, in a red/pink dress [just like the one in
> ohwir!! ]
> wondering what her next shot will be, unaware that it is being
> captured that
> moment. that would totally be COOL. but maybe that's my own silly
> photo
> shoot.

Maybe I need you to come over and shoot the video of the photo shoot?!
That's the only way you'll get pics of me in recording tape.

> everything about that video was so amazing, such an 'accidental
> masterpiece'
> [ i mean, there's no way they could've set out to get what they got,
> it was
> too perfect, it was accidental perfection caused by brilliant artists
> behind
> and in front of the camera] ...... i wanna see what mark comes up
> with. if
> he went with an OHWIR  - inspired concept.

Hmmm ... it seems the pressure is opn now! I'll see what I can comeup
with. Cetainly, I remember the facial shots of Shirley from that video,
as I had a version of the Netscape browser I had modified to use pics
of Shirley from OHWIR as the animation in the top right hand corner!

> i loved the far-away shots from above of shirley with the light
> streaming
> down from the rafters and she's doing that kick in slow-motion, or
> running.
> it was a cool mix of air filtering down into the dusty warehouse and
> scarey
> bathrooms and dudes destroying equipment [ the classic steve marker
> guitar
> bounce in slow-mo ] and shirrrrrrrllllllllllll. sauntering through
> her
> surroundings with a commanding pair of kick-ass boots.
>
> okay, the kick-ass boots part. that will certainly stir the creative
> twiddlies in mark's artistic camera goggles!!  haha ;)

Bahahaha! Silly Alan ;-) That's actually one reason for me limiting the
shoot to upper body ... it's too easy to fall back on taking pics of
boots, etc. When I think upper body/head and shoulders I think hats,
gloves, and necklace. So I'll be thinking around those for props, but
really I want to focus mainly on the model, to help me build my skills
working with people. And also I've done photo shoot with a model in PVC
and boots and as much as that was enjoyable and I got some good shots,
it's time to try something else.

To follow up on a couple of Lou's comments, I mainly take black and
white photos because I develop and print them in my temporary darkroom
at home. I not only is it much cheaper to do B&W, but I can get a lot
more control over what comes out. I like to use dramatic lighting and
feed on the "darker" elements of lighting and composition, so B&W is
ideal.

I do take some colour shots, but for that the lighting has to be done
more carefully, to avoid colour casts. As I don't have any studio
lighting, I either have to take colour shots outside (but it's Winter
here now ...) or have good sunlight inside, which is harder now. Plus
as I use a medium format camera for my good work, I use transparency
film for colour, and I've had some bad experiences with getting prints
off trannies. So colour is more difficult ... but I think it's always
worth shooting a roll of colour ... it's just not my main focus
generally.

One of the photographers I like said that the main way she gets ideas
was from fashion magazines ... because I don't read them much (only
when I am picking up fish and chips for the family ;-) I have to rely
on music mags and my collection of Shirley pictures.

Anyway ... thanks for the ideas. If things turn out, I'll post some
scans if people are interested.

cheers,
mark