[Trash-talk] Update Please!!!!

Alan Hoppe achoppe at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 1 17:32:43 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Merka, Lauren" <Lauren.Merka at trinity.edu>

> Hey Trash-Talk
>      Well I just got back from being at camp for a month. Since I was at
camp that meant that e-mail access was limited and keeping up with
Trash-Talk was impossible. So if someone would like to do me a HUGE favor
and give me and update of going ons with the band, new magazine sightings,
and what not I'd be really thankful!!! Thank you!!!

welcome home, lauren. here's a mini-update. hopefully i didn't forget
anything big.

rollingstone.com posted a new news item stating that garbage were about
halfway throught the recording of their fourth album, which the band plans
to complete by october or so, and then release in the early part of next
year. they talked to butch and he described two of the songs they'd been
working on, comparing one to having a sort of talking heads funky groove,
but being darker and gloomier. and the other as being a straight-up
rock-n-roll song. but i'm writing from memory - go here for the actual
source:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=18284

april (manson) just posted some cool snippets of conversation between
shirley and mary j. blige from the outtakes of a viva glam spot they were
doing for television, and in part of the conversation shirley said that so
far in the recording process it's been 'nothing but alot of noisy
guitars and fights' .. so it sounds like business as usual for the garbage
camp.

april (manson) also posted that shirley manson and deborah harry are
together in a two-page photo in the latest issue of IN STYLE magazine, the
july issue with lisa kudrow on the cover. it's a cool pic, and there's
another small one in the front. shirley's hair is now multi-toned and shell
thinks she looks like a lion. he posted that on the message board. and
actually, a guy named mike thinks she looks like a lion, too, causing me to
wonder if mike and shell are in fact the same person.

but that part isn't really appropriate for a garbage news update. sorry.

louise posted that there's a photo and mini-story on shirley at the oscars -
in the latest european issue of glamour magazine, the july issue, with
charlie's angels on the cover. it's a photo of the journalist, shirley, and
eve (the singer/musician). i checked the us version and didn't see anything
in there.

pongo went and saw THE DATSUNS and decided that they are better live than
garbage. then he saw LOU REED and of course, as usual, lou was amazing.
(btw, there's a writeup in the latest rolling stone about lou's performance
in NYC) these concert stories were fun to read during the hiatus, and since
YOU were off at camp, you missed out!

claire has still not turned up .. so we're not getting the usual huge
plethora of garbage sightings and tidbits around the information
superhighway that she had been spoiling us with for oh so long. i think it's
because she became a stow-away in garbage's luggage just before their return
to smart studios and she's still afraid to make her presence known, but is
frantically writing studio diary entries to record the entire adventure, to
be published at a later date in her fanzine.

oh - and all four members of garbage attended a wine tasting event at the
home of steve marker recently. the band that provided the entertainment was
THE GOMERS! for more on them, go to:
http://beeftone.com/gomers.html

and for more on the wine tasting, go here:
http://www.madison.com/captimes/news/moe2/51390.php

other than that, it's been pretty quiet. did i forget anything???
oh! there's a VH1 promo spot for the station that runs right now on TV and
also in Blockbuster stores, and it's got the music of "Cherry Lips (Go Baby
Go!)" along with clips of different artists like Missy Elliot (who looks
really cool grooving to the CL beat) and even shows a snippet of the actual
CL video.

xo........Alan