[Trash-talk] garbage's original name?..........more

Alan Hoppe achoppe@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:47:44 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: alayna hughes <garbagetmw@hotmail.com>

> what were they originally going to call themselves? i know its filthy.....

I thought you were thinking of RECTAL DRIP and then was replying from
memory. But here's some better info from various online sources :

*From http://www.enter.net/~husselman/gdisco.html :

"Butch Vig , Duke Erikson and Steve Marker were in the punk band: Rectal
Drip. Butch did the vocals which were processed down about half an octave.
Steve was on guitar and a drum machine was processed through an amp and a
compressor. Rectal Drip pressed one cassette of ten short songs all under
one minute. Only 500 copies were made and the cassettes were basically given
away. They also made up several other names for short periods of time or for
one night shows. Rectal Drip was really a filler band at Smart Studios.
Whenever they had a cancellation or some free time the guys would work in
the studio with their own band. So Rectal Drip was in a real way the studio
band that preceded the Garbage project."

[ it says on that page not to distribute the info w/o contacting its two
site custodians, Trevor and Sam, so don't go quoting this stuff on a yahoo!
club or anything w/o first going there and clicking the links and asking
permission first. i am not setting a good example, of course, but do as i
say and not as i do! ]

*From http://www.totalgarbage.net/bandinfo.htm :

"After the split up of Firetown and Spooner's fourth album in 1989, Butch
became part of a punk band named Rectal Drip along with Steve and Duke.
Unfortunately, Rectal Drip was mostly a filler band for Smart Studios and as
a result, it was short-lived."

*From http://www.garbage.suite.dk/profile.html :

On the days the studio was free or when bands cancelled studio sessions,
they would record their own material.
"We would go in and just tinker around with stuff. At that time we sounded
kind of all over the place. We would basically decide that one night we were
going to record some punk music and we'd program a drum machine to and run
it at mega-speed - like 175bpm or something - put it through an amp so it
was really distorted, then I would play fuzz bass and Steve would overdub a
bunch of guitars."
At this point they just experimented with the music and the instruments.
"We'd record a whole bunch of songs in one night, and that became our first
band, Rectal Drip. We also think because we did so much work with punk
bands, we got bored with it. Any chance we had we wanted to do something
different. We didn't want to get stuck in a niche."
They only had one cassette with 10 songs each under a minute. Butch did the
vocals, Steve did the guitar and a drum machine was processed through an amp
and a compressor to totally shred it out.
"The rules were that every song had to be under a minute long, have one
radical tempo change, and be recorded in under an hour."

[ quoting just this part of the page really does a dis-service to the site
.. you should go check that link out and read the whole thing, it's cool ]

--------------- but wait, there's more ---------------------------------

Here's my favorite quote about Rectal Drip! [ from the Rolling Stone article
'Work in Progress' by Jancee Dunn, Oct 96 ] :

*Rectal Drip had a minor local hit when they covered the unintentionally
chilling kiddie song "John Jacon Jingleheimer Schmidt."

That's like, one of those songs forever stuck in my brain from childhood.
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt
That's my name too
Whenever I go out
The people always shout
There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!
Da da da da da da da

[ the way the song works in those creepy campfire settings and in the
ballrooms of various youth organisations, etc., is that the group is led
thru the song and keeps singing it over and over, singing it quieter each
round until it is barely an audible whisper! ]

I would love to hear the RD version of this creepy classic.

xxoo,
Alan