[Trash-talk] deal with the tributes

the menace sms52 at drexel.edu
Thu Feb 13 08:46:13 PST 2003

ok i've been reading up on copyright law and the way this is supposed to work
so here's what i got...

as of right now the situation with the tribute cd is this: apparently just
having the songs up for download is serious copyright infringement in about
five different ways, although everybody does it :P  but if we want to do this
with the band's permission and not risk them suing the hell out of us
(unlikely as they are not metallica, but who knows) we would have to pay them
a bunch of fees PER DOWNLOAD and seeing as it would be nearly impossible to
pay up when the songs are free the cd-burning and charging like... two bucks
to cover fees and shipping seems to be a better option.  what i'm doing is
trying to get permission straight from the band (should have it worked out
fairly soon) and then we're MOST LIKELY going to have to sell the cds for a
small fee to cover licensing, assuming they ask for it (standard rate is $0.08
per song per cd... more if the songs are over 5 minutes long)... it really
depends on what they think.  but i will of course everyone know.

the songs received so far are fucking awesome though; this is turning out to
be cool.

word has it on the wire
that you don't know who you are
well if you could jack into my brain