[Trash-talk] mysteries of the push it video revealed!

Lindsay Calhoun shirleyzas at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 3 18:38:31 PST 2003

Last semester in my film class I saw a short film from the 40's which also
had some odd similarities to the "Push It" video.  It was directed by Maya
Deren and Alexander Hamid, ahh I think it's called Meshes of the Afternoon.
Anyway, there's one scene in particular that reminds me of part of "Push It"
where Hamid is walking in a nun's habit, but his face is a mirror.  I really
can't remember the other similarities I noticed since it's been a while
since I saw the movie, but it's very interesting.  It was experimental and
the Hamid and Deren (who were married at the time) did absolutely everything
on it - wrote, directed, acted, edited, etc.  Anyway, so yeah, the
underlying meaning of Meshes... is the contemplation of suicide, and going
from thinking about it to the act of it.  Kinda dark and twisted, it would
fit in well with the likes of Lynch and Garbage I think.
-Lindsay