[Introspective] Final results of poll on fadeouts vs. hard/cold endings in PSB songs

Wayne Studer psbfan at geowayne.com
Sat Feb 24 22:00:14 PST 2018

The final results are in for my poll of the past week, in which I asked
my site visitors whether they tended to prefer Pet Shop Boys songs with
fadeouts or with cold/hard endings. And the choice that received the
most votes was:

* "It depends on the song," picked by 38.9% of the voters.

To see the complete results -- including a *very* close second-place
finisher -- please visit my "Commentary" site at
http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and select one of the "Past Survey
Results" options in the top navigation bar or click the appropriate link
on my "What's New?" page.

My new survey for the week ahead is somewhat unusual. It starts with the
observation that one of the Boys' most highly regarded songs -- if not
*the* most highly regarded PSB song, at least among both die-hard fans
and the critical community -- is "Being Boring." Yet for all of this
apparent respect and acclaim, it proved to be a comparatively "poor
performer" when it was released as a single back in late 1990, reaching
no higher than #20 on the U.K. singles chart. For the record, it was
their lowest-charting single since their big #1 hit version of "West End
Girls" five years prior -- a total of 13 bigger hits beforehand. And it
was hardly the "beginning of the end," either, since no fewer than 20
PSB singles after "Being Boring" charted higher.

So why? In short, I'm asking you to speculate on the reason for "Being
Boring" not faring better as a single. Of course, maybe there's more
than one reason, in which case I'd like for you to choose what you
believe to be the primary or "biggest" explanation for its relatively
low chart showing -- the largest nail in its proverbial coffin, so to
speak. I'm eager to find out what you think. So please take a moment to
make your choice from the options I've provided right there on my home
page. And thanks so much to porkchopkid for suggesting this most
intriguing question!

Thanks as well to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I hope
you all have a marvelous week ahead!