[Introspective] The early PSB

Kurt Booker the-magician at magick-land.com
Tue Mar 15 18:52:13 PDT 2016

I'm listening to the very earliest PSB vinyl 12" records, and I can't believe how great they are.  At Casa de KFB, we switched to vinyl only for our home musical enjoyment, and it's fun to crack open records I haven't played in years or decades even.  Working for Tower Records in its heydey allowed me to amass quite a collection.

There is a vibrancy, energy and originality in those early mixes.  More than that, they are sonically incredible!  I'm fairly certain it's 100% analog: synths, tape, record.  Pumping through my 1200s, JBLs and an 18” sub.  Oh, so good.  If any of you have the chance or know what I’m talking about, good on you.

BONUS: I just made a cool discovery.  For as long as I can remember I have owned two copies of this: https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportunities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money-Dance-Mix/release/109163 <https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-Opportunities-Lets-Make-Lots-Of-Money-Dance-Mix/release/109163>.  But on one of them, the In the Night side plays the Latin Rascals mix of Opportunities instead!   What a trip to discover that now.

Just thought I'd share with my favorite internet email list.

kfb