[Introspective] Final results of poll on literary/historical allusions in PSB lyrics

Wayne Studer psbfan at geowayne.com
Sat Aug 6 22:06:02 PDT 2016

site visitors their opinion of the fact that the lyrics of Pet Shop Boys
songs presumably employ more literary and historical allusions than most
other pop-music lyrics. And the choice that received the largest number
of votes -- by far -- was:

* "I love the fact that PSB lyrics contain a lot of literary and
historical references! It's one of the exceptional things about them; it
makes them stand out from the crowd," chosen by a amazing 90.2% of the
voters.

Well, perhaps it's not really so "amazing." But I don't recall any of my
other polls -- certainly not recently -- in which the final outcome was
so extremely lop-sided. To see the complete results, please visit my
"Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and either
select one of the "Past Survey Results" options in the top navigation
bar or click the appropriate link on my "What's New?" page.

My new poll for the week ahead concerns the fact that nowadays, perhaps
more than ever, people have drawn upon popular music (as opposed to or
in addition to religious, classical, and/or more "traditional" music)
for two of the most important ceremonies in our experience: weddings and
funerals. I'm wondering whether you have used or would want to use Pet
Shop Boys music in your own personal wedding or funeral services, and
also whether you have taken part in such services for others who have
done so. Please take a  moment to make your choices from the options
provided right there on my home page. And thanks so much to Tan Sam for
suggesting this most interesting question!

Thanks as well to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I wish
you all a most excellent week ahead!