[Introspective] Final results of poll on singles since "PopArt" - pop or art?

Wayne Studer psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 13 22:04:37 PDT 2013

The final results are in for my poll this past week in which I asked my site
visitors to categorize each of the Pet Shop Boys' singles since the release
of "PopArt" as either "pop" or "art." To summarize the outcomes:

* Seven songs -- "I'm with Stupid," "Love Etc." "Did You See Me Coming?"
"Beautiful People," "All Over the World," "Together," and "Winner" -- were
designated as "pop" by the majority of voters, with "Did You See Me Coming?"
receiving the largest percentage of "pop" votes, 92.6%.

* Five songs -- "Minimal," "Numb," "Integral," "Leaving," and "Memory of the
Future" -- were classified as "art" by the majority, with "Memory of the
Future" receiving the largest percentage of "art" votes, 70.6%.

To see the more detailed results, please visit my "Commentary" site at
button in the navigation bar.

I personally believe my new poll for the week ahead is both one of the most
interesting and most challenging questions I've asked in quite some time.
Back when "Elysium" was released, Neil suggested in an interview that each
of its songs might, from a stylistic perspective, have appeared on one of
their previous albums. So I'm wondering how you would match up each of its
songs with their studio albums on a one-to-one basis. That is, you can
"assign" an "Elysium" song to one studio album and no more, and no album can
be "assigned" more than one song. (Since there are twelve tracks on
"Elysium" but only eleven preceding studio albums -- if you count
"Relentless" but don't count the borderline case of "Disco 3" -- that leaves
one song that can be assigned to the status of standalone "bonus track" that
might have appeared on an imaginary hits collection. To make it a just a
little less difficult, I'm not forcing you to make a choice for every single
song and album; you can leave "blanks" if you wish. Nevertheless, I hope
many if not most of you will take up the challenge and make those difficult
choices. So please, when you get the chance, make your choices right there
on my home page. And, in the meantime, I express my sincere thanks to the
regular site visitor (who prefers to remain anonymous) who suggested this
fascinating question!

Thanks as well to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I hope you
all have a fantastic week ahead!