[Introspective] Final results of poll on PSB album versions vs. single versions

Wayne Studer psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 1 22:04:00 PST 2012

The final votes are in for my poll this past week, in which I asked my site
visitors whether they preferred the original album version or the
subsequently released and substantially remixed or re-recorded single
version of selected Pet Shop Boys singles. And a majority or plurality of
voters said that they preferred the single version of the following songs --

* Suburbia
* Heart
* It's Alright
* How Can You Expect to Be Taken Seriously?
* Jealousy
* I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing
* Yesterday, When I Was Mad
* A Red Letter Day

-- with the widest margin of preference displayed for "Suburbia," for which
74.4% of the voters preferred the single to the album version.

But a majority or plurality indicated that they preferred the original album
version of these songs:

* Integral
* All Over the World
* Memory of the Future

Of these, "Integral" showed the widest margin of preference, with 70.5% of
the voters preferring the original album version.

button in the navigation bar.

My new poll for the week ahead shifts attention back to the Pet Shop Boys'
most recent album, "Elysium." As most of you almost certainly know by now, a
bonus disc was released with the album's "special edition" containing the
instrumental (that is, non-vocal) tracks for each of its cuts. And there's
been a lot of discussion about how some fans prefer the instrumentals of
some of the songs to the full vocal version. So I'm asking you about this!
Are there any songs on "Elysium" for which you prefer the instrumental
version to the vocal version? If so, which ones? Or perhaps you're not even
able to make this decision because you haven't heard the instrumentals (or
for some other reason). If that's the case, there's an option in the poll
for you, too. Thanks so much to Frederik Erens for suggesting this excellent
question!

And thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! I hope you all have
a wonderful week ahead!