[Introspective] Final results of poll on "general assertions" in PSB lyrics

Wayne Studer psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 22:11:40 PDT 2010

The final results are in for my survey this past week, in which I asked my
site visitors which of several "general assertions" expressed in the lyrics
of various Pet Shop Boys songs they happen to agree with. And the assertion
that received the largest number of votes -- that is, the one that the most
voters agreed with -- is:

* "Happiness is an option," with which 46.2% of the voters agreed.

Interestingly, none of the choices was picked by a majority of the voters.
I'm also intrigued by the fact that my own personal choices included not
only the "winner" chosen by the largest number of voters, but also the least
popular assertion, picked by the fewest. To see the complete results, please
visit my "Commentary" site at http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and click
the "Past Survey Results" button in the left navigation bar.

I had been planning to run a "sequel survey" this week, asking that exact
same question of several *additional* statements drawn from PSB lyrics --
most of which had been suggested by voters. But, just to vary things up a
bit, I'm going to hold off on it for at least a week or two. In the
meantime, my new poll for the week ahead is inspired by the fact that cover
versions of songs written and originally recorded by other artists have
played a major role in recent releases by the Boys. It makes me wonder
whether you feel that they've been releasing *too many* covers lately. So
please think about this and register your feelings about it right there on
my home page.

Thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! I hope you all have a
wonderful week ahead!