[Introspective] Final results of poll comparing other synthpop artists to PSB

Wayne Studer psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 24 22:08:05 PDT 2010

The final results are in for my poll this past week (a "sequel" to the
previous week's survey), in which I asked my site visitors to compare
various fellow "synthpop" artists to the Pet Shop Boys. And the artist who
came out on top, based on a mathematical scoring method that I explain along
with the full results on my website, is:

* Kraftwerk, with an "average score" of 2.270 (not quite as high as Depeche
Mode's average score of 2.360 the week before).

What's more, a surprisingly high 12.0% of voters (well, at least it was
surprising to *me*) ranked Kraftwerk as "better than PSB." And the artist
who had the lowest average score was Flock of Seagulls, with 1.203 (even
lower than last week's bottom-ranking artist, the Thompson Twins, at 1.305).
button in the left navigation bar.

I should provide a bit of background information about my new poll for the
week ahead. I have a good friend who intensely dislikes the Pet Shop Boys.
Their "typical" musical style -- heavy on the synths and samplers, often
with a strong dance beat -- is definitely not to his liking. And he's never
cared for any of their singles. But I'm convinced that if I could get him to
see beyond "style" and focus on their strength as songwriters, he would at
least come to appreciate them, if not actually like them. So I'm pondering
putting together a short disc of their tracks that (1) were not singles and
(2) don't follow their "stereotypical" style (dance-oriented synthpop, to
put it in an admittedly oversimplified manner) to share with him in one
final effort to "convert" him.

At any rate, I'm wondering which songs *you* would select if faced with a
similar challenge. I'm asking you to choose exactly ten PSB non-singles --
no more, no fewer -- along similar lines. Remember: they should ideally be
the ones that you consider their "best" that don't adhere to their more
"typical" style(s). Please take a few minutes to check out the dozens of
songs that I've listed on my home page and, when you're ready, submit your
choices.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! I hope you
all have a superb week ahead!