[Introspective] Neil interview on OMH

Richard Back rback at bigfoot.com
Tue Mar 24 09:56:23 PDT 2009

I don't really agree with you, John. Everyone can have principles in their private and public life, whether they are a corporation or an individual. There are companies which treat their staff well, and have an attitude that it is not all about the money, and there are companies that are just interested in profit to the exclusion of all else. I know which I'd respect more and want to work for.

And the same applies for us as individuals. I could make more money and be more 'successful' in financial terms, but I decide to put my family first, and go down a different path.

Similarly with the Pet Shop Boys- why do a deal that benefits the Mail On Sunday when their politics disagrees with your own so completely? Neil would never vote Tory.
This is why it is so disappointing to the fans- we were led to believe that the boys had principles, which we admired alongside their music.

Neil is perhaps under a misapprehension that the Mail isn't as bad as people make out, which is understandable if he doesn't read it. But I like to keep track of what they're saying, so I check their online site regularly.

I can guarantee you that on any particular day in the Daily Mail you will find a story about asylum seekers or immigrants, or about single mothers, or a medical health scare.
The writing is designed to play to middle England's worst fears, and it is quite disgusting that people would take it in and believe it. It is irresponsible, immoral, and Neil shouldn't be supporting it.

John- yes, it is a major publication. But what have circulation figures got to do with its content. Its not a 'paramilitary organisation', but its certainly not a mild mannered pacifist either.
You seem to think that because people have strong opinions about it, they're wrong just because their opinions are strong!

Example: "Facebook gives you cancer"