[Introspective] Yes, Etc et al

Johan johan at ostergaard.org
Sun Mar 22 12:08:54 PDT 2009

Wow Kurt, how sad for you that Yes has not been the great experience that it
has been for me and apparently many others.

Here's my short take:

Love Etc. Excellent first single which I still haven't tired from, now 100
listens on. In fact I can listen to that song on repeat many times over,
which hasn't happened to me for years. 9/10
All over the world - Another great song which is a decent choice for 2nd
single. A happy song which in the hands of PSB sounds a bit sad anyway. 9/10
Beautiful People - one of the low points of the album. Not exactly bad but
not quite up there either. 5/10
Did you see me coming - a grower for me. I thought it rather generic to
begin with, but it really has a great energy to it. 8/10
Vulnerable - one of my favourites. Loaded with emotion, musically as well as
lyrically. It might be banal but works incredibly well. 9/10
More than a dream - Not one of my favourites but decent enough. 7/10
Building a wall - I really like it. On each of the last four albums it would
have been one of the highlights. Here it is an average track. 8/10
King of Rome - I don't like this too much. A typical Neil song, a bit like
'Casanova in Hell' though better. It might grow on me, but for now it is a
candidate for skipping. 5/10
Pandemonium - Classic Pet Shop Boys brilliance. This is ecstasy all the way
through - a rare achievement even for them. 10/10
The way it used to be - Hauntingly beautiful. Who cannot relate to the
nostalgic longing Neil so magically gets across here? 9/10
Legacy - Not terrible like the first reviews suggested but it is not a song
I find myself aching to listen to. A bit full of itself, really. 5/10.

All in all I haven't been this excited by a PSB album since Very.
Considering how disappointed I was with Fundamental, my faith in Neil and
Chris has been completely restored.

As for the other songs and remixes, I generally like them but don't love
them. Amazingly, however, there isn't a single album track, b-side or remix
that I actively dislike. For Fundamental that number was 7 or 8 all in all.

Johan