[Introspective] Yes, Etc et al

various99 _ actuali at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 22 11:26:24 PDT 2009

I'd have to agree that Yes is not the best PSB album since Very, but I can see how, for many people, it might be the most fun PSB album since Very, because the sound of Yes is closer to Very than any PSB album since Very.

Fundamental was pretty much the best PSB album since Very, but Yes doesn't suffer from some of the execution and pace failings of Fundamental.  And Fundamental didn't really have any serious execution and pace failings.  However, beginning with Biligual, PSB began to make some pretty obvious execution, pace, and song-selection errors on their albums.  Don't get me wrong: I think the material on Bilingual is actually superior to the material on Very, overall, but it was uncohesive, poorly executed, and the song-selection needed a bit of tweaking.  It really ould have been their best album (this is also my opinion of Release, more or less, but Release suffered less execution errors.  Release suffered from some key song-selection mistakes).  Nightlife remains their worst album.  All fluff and pumping production, but it failed in song quality and then suffered even more by the album's losing its steam and pace in the second half.  "For your own good" remains one of PSB's best-ever opening tracks, but the album sort of goes downhill from there.

To me, Yes's main failing lies not with its song quality, pacing, or execution.  The main problem with Yes its track editing and glossy, throw-away production sound (so I guess that might count as exeution).  Many of the tracks are beautiful, instrumentally, but we never get to hear many instrumental portions.  And when a fun instrumental portion begins, the song ends immediately (Boy Strange did this, on Nightlife).  "Beautiful people" has this beautiful ending, but it should have lasted longer, and louder, and this bit should have come in the middle of the song.  Same for "King of Rome": my god, what a great and sad piece of music we get to hear at the end, but only as the song fades away!  "Vulnerable" would sound rally cool with longer instrumental portions, but the song is covered in lyrics, and when they're over, the song is over.  "Legacy" gets really beautiful, and then its over.  But this is Yes's failing: everything is edited so tightly and neatly, there's no time to let he songs breathe.

I will admit, however, that Yes is pretty good.  I also think that, whatever it is as an album, it is exactly what Neil and Chris were going for: they wanted a tight, well-paced, Xenomania-type album (kind of like a modern Stock-Aiken-Waterman album).  In that respect, it actually works.  And that is also kinds of fun, because it breaks up the pace of heavy PSB works.  It contains some really cools, and some moods that we often only hear on PSB's more interesting B-sides.  It's packaged with Nightlife's danceability, and with Very's pace.  To me, it's the right PSB album at the right time.

-Ali