[Introspective] Final results of poll on b-sides preferred to their singles

psbfan psbfan at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 17 22:22:11 PST 2007

After being "down" for a little over 24 hours on account of problems
experienced by my webhosting service, my website has been back up and
running for the past two hours or so. And the final results are in for my
poll this past week, in which I asked my site visitors which Pet Shop Boys
single b-sides they prefer to the corresponding single itself. And the song
that received the most votes was:

* "The Truck Driver and His Mate," which 32.4% of the voters indicated they
prefered to it's "a-side," "Before."

I find this outcome especially interesting for several reasons. First of
all, it was an incredibly tight race between "Truck Driver" and the song
that came in second place, "Hit and Miss." In fact, "Hit and Miss" led for
most of the week; "Truck Driver" took the lead only during the last two
days and in the end only barely edged out the other song. The other
remarkable things about it are that both "Truck Driver" and "Hit and Miss"
were b-sides/bonus tracks for the same single, "Before," and they're so
very different in mood and style: raucous and rocking in the case of the
former, while somber and even somewhat sad in the case of the latter.
Fascinating!

At any rate, to see the complete results (and the race was pretty tight
among the next several songs as well), please visit my "Commentary" site at
http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and click the "Survey Results" button
in the left navigation bar.

My new survey for the week ahead switches gears away from singles and
b-sides and instead asks a very different question that I've personally
wondered about for quite some time. When did you first discover or learn
about the "Postscript," the "hidden" song at the end of the album "Very"?
Think back, and then, when you get the chance, please make your choice from
the options provided right there on my home page.

Thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And, once again, my
sincere apologies to anyone who may have been inconvenienced by my site's
inaccessibility for most of the final day of the poll. I hope all who
really wanted to got a chance to vote! Whatever the case, here's wishing
you all a very safe and happy week ahead!