[Introspective] Re: [We're the] Pet Shop Boys: List

J/Thayer joda at panix.com
Sun Mar 14 21:50:13 PST 2004

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:59:18 -0500
> From: "J/Thayer" <joda at panix.com>
> Has anyone else already tried this?  I made a playlist based on My Robot
Friend's song, and I like the flow..
> I call it "List"
>   1. We're the Pet Shop Boys (My Robot Friend)
>   2. Suburbia
>   3. Rent
>   4. Shopping
>   5. Being boring
>   6. It's alright
>   7. It's a sin
>   8. I'm not scared
>   9. In denial
>   10. I want a dog
>   11. I want a lover
>   12. Can you forgive her?
>   13. Do I have to?
>   14. What have I done to deserve this?
>   15. We're the Pet Shop Boys (Pet Shop Boys)
> A surprisingly elegant survey of the PSB repertoire, considering the
constrictions of its conception.  (For the sake of coherence, I used the
album version of any track where there was a choice.)
> -Jonathan

>   From: Scott Marshall
>   My RObot Friend????
>   scott.
>   toronto

> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:50:41 -0500
> From: "J/Thayer" <joda at panix.com>
> The musician who wrote and recorded the original version of "We're the Pet
Shop Boys" (www.myrobotfriend.com).  It's on his album, Hot Action!, which I
ordered off his Website.  Besides his lovely and scathing tribute to PSB,
it has a bunch of other funny and groovy songs.  [Parental advisory:
Occasional naughty language and some adult situations.]  My mom made me add
that.  Not really.  Well, actually, maybe.

> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 13:58:06 +1100 (EST)
> From: Monochromatic Man <pudgiepig at yahoo.com.au>
> I guess someone was asleep when I posted the track on
> my site a few months ago.
> Out of curiousity. When did you order the cd?
> There was a spike in sales after I posted the track
> and website info. And MRF is playing Chicago this
> month.

He shipped it to me on Nov. 26, the day after I ordered it.  I can't
remember if that was before or after Miracles came out.  I think it was
after: Once I heard how good the PSB cover was, I wanted to hear the
original.  I think I like it in its way as much as the cover.  The vocal is
real nice (til he pinches his nostrils shut; then it's just funny)..  PSB's
instrumentation on the cover is so nice, lots of subtleties; it's got me
excited for the album in progress..

Has anyone else tried out the list as a playlist?  It's admittedly heavily
pre-Behavior, but it still makes a nice revue..

-J