[Introspective] PopArtMix - impressions

Dave Ewart davee at sungate.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 13:44:17 PST 2003

Dear all,

Went into local HMV to pick "Pop Art" up just now and was greeted to
"Domino dancing" played *really* loud.  Which was nice.  :-)

We all know the songs, just a few observations:

The mix for "Suburbia" is the 'video mix' - this is basically the first
minute or so of the 'full horror' 12" mix (as from "Disco") bolted on to
the normal 7" mix (as from "Discography").  Nice mix, anyway.

Heart - the version from "Actually" is *still* horrible.  Can't imagine
why it's on here - after all, this isn't the version that Average Joe
Music Listener will know as the track which made #1 in the UK.  I can
only assume it's a mistake in the mastering/production.  After all, this
mix *didn't* make No. 1, which the sleeve notes indicate.

"Where the streets have no name" - this is the 'shorter' single mix,
running in at 4:30, rather than the one with the extended 'outro' from
the original CD single.

"Flamboyant" - my first listen to this track.  Nothing special about
this, really - won't ever be one of my favourites.

"Opportunities" - I think this is the version from "Please", rather than
from "Discography", just a few bars more at the start.

"Miserablism (Moby Electro mix)" - apparently I have managed to avoid
hearing this one over the years.  Don't think I missed much.

I noticed that "Pop Art" was sitting in the #16 slot on the HMV album
shelves, which I presume is the result of pre-release orders ...

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart
Davee at SunGate.co.uk