[Introspective] Go West used as racist anthem

Carlos E Restrepo cer202 at nyu.edu
Mon May 19 18:36:01 PDT 2003

I'm sure Neil & Chris would be pretty upset by that. That's exactly what Neil is satirizing with the line "What do you expect from us/we come from abroad" in London. Also reminds me of something in Time magazine written recently by Michael Elliott. In an article titled "Why Empires Strike Out" he wrote:

"In Britain, the imperialist adventure produced a belief that Britons were better than anyone with dark skin. In my hometown, imperialism bred a pervasive racism. When John Barnes, a great black soccer player, first played for Liverpool, the fans greeted him by throwing bananas on the field and making monkey noises. This was not in the 1950s but in 1987."