[Introspective] Closer to Heaven Cast Recording...blah!

Remark Communications remark at mac.com
Wed Jul 2 01:06:17 PDT 2003

Okay, so I finally got a chance to hear the Closer to Heaven Cast
Recording.  I have owned this for quite some time but actually never
listened to it until just recently...

Some thoughts--all of these songs would be brilliant if Neil were
singing them.  Thank god we have him singing some, even if they are
demos!  The music on this entire CD is great.

The bad news:  the vocals for the most part SUCK!!!  I know it's all
intended to be musical-like and all, but my God that Vic and Shell
character singing "In Denial" is awful.  Oh, and how about Bob Saunders
singing "Call me old fashioned"...where the hell did he even get the
opportunity to BE in a musical?  His voice is TERRIBLE!!!  And
"Shameless"?  Ugh, it sounds like an elementary school attempt at a
play!  And Vic on "Vampires" is horrific too.  I appreciate his
passion, but he needs to shut the hell up.

Thank God that Straight Dave can sing!  Some highlights include the
last 4 tracks--"K-hole" into "For All of Us" into "Closer to Heaven"
into "Positive Role Model"--that entire sequence is wonderful and
really brings out his voice.  It made me realize yet again that PRM
really really really needed to be a single!!  If only we could have had
some STOMPING remixes to that song.  It's sooooo good.

And what of this "Out of my System" track?  It could have been a
single!  Thankfully the voices are really good on that track!

Ah well.

<remark, who thinks "In Denial" is still a fantastic song even if Anita
doesn't!  :D >