[Introspective] Autumnal frenzy.

Grant Whittingham grant at twistinthedark.net
Fri Aug 29 08:59:49 PDT 2003

Quoting James Cherry <girliedrinker at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Mats:
>
> > If I remember correctly - Siren Disc always gets information in advance
> that
> > seldom fits completely with the reality - especially not when it comes to
> > release dates. So I would actually be quite surprised if this turned out
> to be
> > the truth when the boys themselves have spoken about a 1CD release.
>
> Sounds about right. However disappointing a single CD may sound, it's what
> we're gonna get. But they should be aware that the fans will buy it and so
> should offer something more.

Hi

Although it is quite clear that it will be a single disc, Neil himself said in
one of the Q&As on the official site that there might be a limited 2-CD version
too.  This practice seems quite common these days.

> But since then
> every single has been on CD, so is there a benefit in us buying the new
> compilation? Not really, other than one or two new songs, which may or may
> not be singles in their own right anyway.

This is why I won't be too upset whatever comes out.  "Discography 2" would
have been the natural progression and my preference but at the end of the day,
it doesn't really bother me.

The one thing I am really excited about, and I hope they get it right, is the
greatest hits DVD.  As long as it has all the promo videos then I'll be happy
(there are still a few I haven't seen).

> I'd like to think that at least
> initial copies of the CD will come with some sort of limited edition second
> disc, although I wouldn't like to say what would be on it. Maybe their mixes
> of other people's songs or some live stuff, I dunno.

Probably mixes.  However, knowing the Boys, I'm sure there may be one or two
unusual things for the fans.

> It's just a shame that it's the songs since Very that will undoubtedly be
> excluded from the comp, and so casual buyers (if such a thing still exists,
> or is that who buys all those Eva Cassidy, Dido and David Gray records?)
> potentially won't be exposed to some pretty good songs that may not have
> hung around in the charts for too long, eg. "I Get Along", "Single", "I
> Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing".

>From what Neil has said, it won't necessarily just be the biggest hits.  Didn't
he say something about songs that symbolise what the Pet Shop Boys are about?
Expect more of their own favourites (as long as it was a single), which could
make for an interesting compilation.

And be careful what you say.  I am not a casual buyer AND I do buy Dido.  Love
the new single.  :-)

> And Popart is a bit of a pompous name, don't you think?

It's cute.  I like it.  :-)

Grant