[Introspective] Final results of "Favorite PSB single" poll -- and the start of "The Rating Project"

Wayne psbfan at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 07:19:41 PDT 2003

The final results are in of my survey this past week of my site visitors'
all-time favorite Pet Shop Boys single. And the top vote-getter is:

* "Being Boring," with 13.4% of the total vote.

There was an excellent turnout this time around, too: 231 voters, which
doesn't break any records, but it was my third-highest number of voters
ever. You can see the complete results by visiting my "Commentary" site at
http://www.geowayne.com/psbhtml.htm and clicking on the link to "Past Survey
Results" in the left navigation bar.

Of course, this means there's a new poll for the week ahead. And I'm
starting a series of polls that collectively I'm calling "The Rating
Project." Each week I will ask you to rate all of the songs on a PSB album
(or some other group of tracks) on a scale of 0 to 10, with --

* 0 meaning "one of the worst PSB songs ever"
* 1-4 meaning "a worse than average PSB song"
* 5 meaning "an average PSB song"
* 6-9 meaning "a better than average PSB song" and
* 10 meaning "one of the very best PSB songs ever"

It will take about three months to go through the entire Pet Shop Boys
catalog, but at the end I hope to have an "average fan rating" for each and
every PSB song. Please note that I'm asking you to rate each song compared
to PSB songs in general -- not with other artists' songs. So while you may
consider a certain PSB song to be better than average compared to pop songs
in general, perhaps you may feel that it's worse than average for the Boys
themselves. It's that "for the Boys" rating that I'm interested in. You'll
also need to have your email program turned on in order for me to receive
your vote.

At any rate, I hope you're as interested in this project as I am. Please
visit the home page of my site and take a few minutes to take part in the
first poll of this series, which focuses on the Boys' first album "Please."

Thanks to everyone who voted in last week's survey! And I hope you all have
a superb week ahead!