[Trash-talk] Scala - queueing etiquette revisited

simon clapham guanos at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:07:54 PDT 2005

I agree with a few things both Elfie & Lou said about the "queueing" at
Scala. Nowadays, its the one thing i dont look forward to as regards Garbage
shows. How things have changed since there was only about 5 of us following
the Euro dates...everyone used to repect each other but now i see more &
more selfish acts.
I had planned to get to London around midday but due to traffic problems (A1
being closed some hours) i didn't arrive untill 3pm-ish. There was approx
10-15 people in front of me. If this was a "normal" gig,this place would
guarantee a good spot in the venue. But seeing as its a Garbage show, i knew
the amount in front of me would at least double before doors opened. Yeah, i
accepted the fact i wouldn't get front row....i should have got there
earlier.(strange isnt it that ive got to ACCEPT the fact that people jump
the queue....)
There were 3 people behind me for a while then 2 of them left (or seemed to
leave lol) then a couple of friends joined me, jumping the queue by one
place. Of course,quite some time  later the other 2 came back & the French
girl wasnt happy about losing their place. Now the funny thing is, if she
had said something to Becky(who "jumped" the queue lol) she would have
dropped back. But instead, she goes bitching to Elfie...putting Elfie in an
awkward position. Of course, it was totally wrong to then take her & the two
others further up the queue, thus offending more people....& in the end it
was pointless as from both Elfie & Lous comments, this girl still wasnt
happy once inside!
The Scala gig was the 500th concert ive been to (26th Garbage) & in all
those shows ive probably jumped a queue 4 times. Ive always been of opinion
if you put the time in queing, you deserve the place. But my opinion has now
changed : If its good enough for others, its the same for me.

Apart from the pre-show bs the gig was fantastic. I deliberately didnt
download the album: I wanted to be impressed by the new songs hearing them
first time in a live setting. I wasn't disapointed. Yeah, there were a few "
mistakes" but thats all part of the fun & reality of a live gig. i think it
adds to it event. Before the gig i was unsure about going to other Garbage
gigs as i had slightly lost my passion for it(not gigs,just Garbage gigs).
But i was soon reminded how good it can be as that buzz soon returned.
Roll on Paradiso when i get kicked to the back of the queue lol

Simon