[Introspective] Autumnal frenzy.

James Cherry girliedrinker at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 23:25:56 PDT 2003

Mats:

> If I remember correctly - Siren Disc always gets information in advance
that
> seldom fits completely with the reality - especially not when it comes to
> release dates. So I would actually be quite surprised if this turned out
to be
> the truth when the boys themselves have spoken about a 1CD release.

Sounds about right. However disappointing a single CD may sound, it's what
we're gonna get. But they should be aware that the fans will buy it and so
should offer something more. When Discography came out it was the first time
many of the singles had been released on CD (quite a few of the CD singles
hadn't included the 7" mix), so it was a worthy purchase. But since then
every single has been on CD, so is there a benefit in us buying the new
compilation? Not really, other than one or two new songs, which may or may
not be singles in their own right anyway. I'd like to think that at least
initial copies of the CD will come with some sort of limited edition second
disc, although I wouldn't like to say what would be on it. Maybe their mixes
of other people's songs or some live stuff, I dunno.

It's just a shame that it's the songs since Very that will undoubtedly be
excluded from the comp, and so casual buyers (if such a thing still exists,
or is that who buys all those Eva Cassidy, Dido and David Gray records?)
potentially won't be exposed to some pretty good songs that may not have
hung around in the charts for too long, eg. "I Get Along", "Single", "I
Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing".

And Popart is a bit of a pompous name, don't you think?

JPC